Skip to main content

Read to Rover Program


Jade started her volunteering at the Laurel Library Branch for their Read to Rover program as part of the Pet's on Wheels volunteer. This was her first experience volunteering, she did quite well. Basically the Read to Rover program, is a program where kids come up to the dogs and read them a book. This helps young kids improve on their reading skills, without any judgement from the therapy dogs. Also the pets like the attention. 

Jade met a couple of dogs and even a very tame cat during her visit to the library. The volunteers at the library are really friendly, some are new volunteers and some are more experienced. It was nice to meet some new people in the area. 

Overall, Jade was interested in what was going on and as to why she was in a building full of books. She was also curious as to why a kid was reading her a book while sitting on my lap. This experience will get her out more and socialized with different types of people of all ages and sizes...Oh and also more doggy friends too~! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Coconut Oil and Banana Dog Treats

Before the year ended I finished all the dog treats mama had made for me a couple of weeks ago. So she tried a new recipe but added a few things. Mama ran out of the baby oatmeal from the last batch. So she used regular Quaker oats and used the food processor to grind it finely. Anyways, we hope you enjoy making these treats as much as we did.  Ingredients:  1 1/4 cup Oatmeal 1/4 cup peanut butter 3 tablespoon Coconut Oil 1 medium banana Directions:  Grind up oatmeal. Place in large bowl, mix in banana, coconut oil, and peanut butter.  Create small balls and and then flatten them with a spoon Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake for 15-20 minutes. When done, leave in oven to cool. This makes the treats firm up. 

Loyal Companion Grand Opening

Mama went to the grand opening of Loyal Companion this weekend in Rockville, Md. She picked up a free goodie bag with new treats and bought us some small toys. I already chewed up and tore up my blue birdy. Sister got the unicorn and we have the sock monkey left to play with. I can't wait for mama to open up the new treats for us to munch on~!

Grooming Stitch

Last week, mama went through a phase where she brushed me for a whole week, since I was shedding so much. Mom was so frustrated with my undercoat.  Mama here: I researched how to get Stitch's shedding under control. I watched a youtube video of this lady, who has 14 corgis, showing her weekly routine of what she would do to keep her corgi's coat under control and keeping them beautiful. Brushing with a brush, then with an undercoat comb, she used conditioner's and paw balm.  I can also use this technique on Jade, even though her grooming is a lot easier for me.  Anyways, mom bought the  undercoat comb  (target, $6.99), after brushing me for a week and combed me out in the backyard. I had so much fur come off of me, that it could have been another small dog. I felt so much better afterwards too! Then she bought waterless foam shampoo by  wahl  ($5.99) for me and cleaned me up last night. The smell was coconut lime verbana. She rubbed it thoroughly into my coat